Mijn Blog

How to start and when to finish a drawing

How to start and when to finish a drawing

You´d think that the hard bit is the actual drawing you do,
but often it is the beginning and the end of a drawing that can be the biggest challenge.

What will be the purpose of your drawing, what will you draw and how will you start?

For instance, my nieces are doing their school exams and I would like to send them a card with a drawing for when they have finished.
I ride my bike and think. I do the dishes and think. I sit in the sun and think.
It is not so much thinking even, it feels more like daydreaming where ideas are floating around in my head and slowly I get a picture of what my drawing should look like.
I used to think very complicated things to draw but found out over the years that trying to draw them have given me more often a headache than not and often spoiled and my fun of drawing and the drawing itself.

So I keep it pretty simple and can always add if I like.
I am happily drawing away until I wonder when I should stop. If I keep going, will I spoil the drawing? Am I too hesitant and should I draw a little more?
What I do in this case, I scan the drawing and save it in a file on my computer. That way I always have this version of my drawing and I can keep working on it without worrying.

When I think I finished my drawing, I hang it up with bluetag on the wall (mostly in the kitchen).
In the next days I pass it and look at it. And I make then still little changes or even add things. Other people will pass it too and often notice things I did not even see (that I might also change). Once I stop working on the drawing and I am happy with it, well then my drawing is finished!

blue clown with coloured pencils 1
           I can not show you yet the drawing for my nieces,
                         as the ideas are still floating around...

8 Reacties op How to start and when to finish a drawing:

Comments RSS
arnout on dinsdag 18 september 2012 19:56
drawing in pencil, crayon, ink or just anything gives so much more satisfaction than taking photographs and it only needs: a little push and then just doing it. And for that little push and keeping doing it: nowhere better inspiration than a Veronica course.
Reageren op een reactie

Replica Horloges on dinsdag 21 mei 2013 9:20
You can illustrate a children´s book so that a child will remember it fifty years down the track. And of course, you can illustrate a card and send it away
Reageren op een reactie

fire emblem oboro cosplay on zaterdag 26 mei 2018 10:15
Amazing work that I could not wait to see some more posts.
Reageren op een reactie

SkyCap Financial Reviews on dinsdag 9 juli 2019 13:54
It’s these tough financial situations that led to the founding of personal loan providers like SkyCap Financial Reviews, a company that specializes in alternative financing for Canadians.
Reageren op een reactie

Master Paper on dinsdag 20 augustus 2019 12:48
Can I have several instructions for figure drawing needs a little assistance with shape Drawing?
Reageren op een reactie

Master Paper Writer Services on zaterdag 24 augustus 2019 9:42
You could illustrate a children's e-book in order that a child will don't forget it fifty years down the music. It’s those difficult economic conditions that led to the founding of private loan companies like skycap economic evaluations, an enterprise that focuses on opportunity financing for Canadians. https://www.masterpaperwriter.com/
Reageren op een reactie

Best Australian Assignment Services on woensdag 28 augustus 2019 12:22
You may illustrate a kids' ebook so that a baby will do not forget it fifty years down the music. and of course, you could illustrate a card and ship it away. it’s those difficult economic conditions that brought about the founding of personal loan vendors like skycap monetary opinions, a corporation that focuses on alternative financing for Canadians. https://www.topassignmentservice.com/
Reageren op een reactie

vape deals 2019 on woensdag 16 oktober 2019 12:29
Element Vape is a progressive online retail establishment serving Guitars at the lowest price guaranteed
Reageren op een reactie

Voeg een reactie toe:

Je naam:
E-mailadres: (vereist)
Website:
Reactie:
Maak je tekst groter, vetgedrukt, schuingedrukt en meer met HTML tags. Zo werkt het.